Friday, July 8, 2011

Zine Review: Somnambulist #17



Martha Grover graciously sent me Somnambulist #17 for review. This is the second or third issue of Somnambulist I have read, and I’m noticing the small qualities I appreciate about this zine:

  • The writing is consistently cohesive and crisp (how’s that for alliteration?)
  • The design and layout are clean and reader-friendly
  • There’s a “what’s in this issue” page
  • You can subscribe to it!

Somnambulist #17 features a story by Jordan Karnes about infatuation with the very dead John Lennon and a very alive boyfriend named Jon. It’s a rare story that makes you laugh and cringe at the same time. Martha Grover writes about the plastic gyre, something most of us would rather not think about … and that’s just the first 9 pages. You can contact Martha at PO Box 14871 Portland OR 97293 or visit her zine blog at somnambulistzine.blogspot.com … until I can afford a subscription I’m hoping Martha sends me her future zine creations!

No comments: