Thursday, August 17, 2017

Abandoned Houses - Untitled Spirals




Artist: Abandoned Houses
Title: Untitled Spirals
Label / Year:  Rok Lok 2013


I love how simple yet artistic the presentation of this cassette EP is: kraft paper box, homemade insert, rubber stamp. Mike Ciaravino is Abandoned Houses, and these songs were recorded on lo-fi equipment in 2012 and 2013. There’s mostly paired down acoustic guitar, it isn’t until the fourth piece “Count To Zero” (which sounds like it features a Magnus electric chord organ like the one I played as a child) that there might be some overdubbing involved. Straight-up folk for the second decade of what is shaping up to be a rough century. Mike says "Obsessed and inspired by places that are desolate, abandoned, falling apart and being reclaimed by nature. I travel around wherever I am and write and record music in the places I find, capturing a collective essence in recordings and photographs. They are all unique and contribute in different ways to the music and sounds I create." Untitled Spirals is a perfect slice of homemade indie folk. 

No comments: