Monday, May 20, 2013

Zine Review: Bookstores and Baseball: The First Inning


Bookstores and Baseball: The First Inning
32 pages / full color

I’ll admit to having once been obsessed with the Boston Red Sox and magical realism books like W.P. Kinsella’s The Iowa Baseball Confederacy & I have always been obsessed with bookstores. David Labounty generously sent me five issues of this zine & I've just finished devouring the first one: Bookstores and Baseball: The First Inning. Part travelogue, part perzine, Bookstores and Baseball: The First Inning beautifully maps the journeys of David and his family as they go on zine selling (and zine buying) tours and visit numerous bookshops and baseball fields, including the Field of Dreams in Iowa. David vividly narrates experiences at Quimby’s Books, The Texas Book Festival, Wrigley Field & more. I wish I could have just one hour at Quimby’s to browse the zine selection! This zine is a solid read and a lot of fun. I’ll be slowly savoring the next four issues. Thank you David! 

No comments: