Saturday, May 11, 2013

Zine Review: Shoe & Tail #11


Shoe & Tail #11
by Rachel Lee-Carman
40 pages / half letter / $3

Available from msvalerieparkdistro.com

For whatever reason, I didn’t care all that much for the previous issue. Maybe I was in a weird mood when I read it. Shoe & Tail #11 lifted my spirits even though parts of this issue feel mired in the neighborhood of depression. Formerly titled Show & Tell (I wonder if this is a lasting permutation), Rachel’s zine is brilliantly handwritten and drawn with occasional photography. It is presented in diary / autobiographical form wherein Rachel reveals the nuances of her friendships, philosophies, life events and even sneezing! There’s also a thought-provoking section called “Greetings From Elk Lake” about nudity and how messed up our culture is regarding our human bodies.

Shoe & Tail is an exquisite publication. My moods as a reader are prone to fluctuation. 

No comments: